With Old Man Winter refusing to give us a break and frigid cold temperatures in the single digits across most of North America, with no warm up in sight; we thought this weekend was a great time to try our Italian Wedding soup from Food Network Chopped Champion Chef Joe Rego.
- 1 Large yellow onion – diced ¼ inch -
- 1 Cup of carrots – diced ¼ inch -
- 1 Cup of celery – diced ¼ inch -
- 1 Tbsp of chopped fresh garlic -
- 2 Tbsp of fresh oregano – chopped -
- 1 LB Italian sausage -
- 1 Small can of white beans -
- ½ Cup of orzo pasta -
- 1 Cup of crushed whole peeled tomatoes in a can -
- 2 Cups of fresh baby spinach -
- 3 Tbsp of kosher salt -
- 6 Cups of beef broth (1 and half 32 oz boxes) -
- In the Nutra Ease 8 qt. Dutch Oven turn heat to medium heat, cook and crumble sausage until browned. Drain off excess fat and return sausage to pot.
- Add the onions, celery, carrots and garlic, cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the fresh chopped oregano and beef broth, place lid on pot.
- When valve starts to click add beans, tomatoes, orzo, spinach and salt.
- Replace lid and turn heat down to medium low and continue cooking for an additional 30 minutes.